It is a natural progression in the life of a home, especially an older home for the homeowner to decide it is time to remodel. Whether it is a DIY project for a small makeover or a major overhaul most people do not give a thought to asbestos. Asbestos was not banned until the late 80s, so many homeowners may be surprised to find they still have asbestos in their homes. Asbestos is a major health hazard and if present, needs to be removed immediately.
What Is Asbestos?
Asbestos is a fiber that is naturally occurring and for decades it was used in all forms of construction materials. Asbestos was commonly found in older homes and even some newer homes can contain asbestos. Regulations about asbestos have been put into place to protect the public but you can still be exposed, especially if you have decided to do some remodeling. Asbestos can be found in all types of building materials including:
- Vinyl Floor Tiles
- Textured paint
- Wallpaper glue
- Roofing material
- Popcorn Ceilings
They are the very items that you would be pulling out for your remodeling project. In fact, during the 1950’s almost all vinyl flooring installed in homes contained asbestos. If there is a chance that the items you are tearing down for your remodel may have asbestos, do not panic, call a professionally trained asbestos expert and do not continue with your remodel until you know it is safe.
Why Should I Have My House Tested For Asbestos?
Since asbestos fibers are pretty much invisible, you cannot be sure if you have been exposed to it or not. You also cannot tell if you have disturbed it with your remodeling. The only way is with the use of asbestos testing kit. They work by testing different materials in your home and then sending it to a lab for results. You should always test for any project, small or large. If it is determined you have asbestos they will isolate and remove and dispose of the asbestos and monitor the air to make sure it is clean.
Why Do I Need To Have Asbestos Removed From My Home Professionally?
Testing for asbestos should only be completed by certified asbestos removal professionals. It is illegal to remove and dispose of asbestos without proper licensing. It needs to be removed safely so that no one in your family or neighborhood is further exposed. Exposure to asbestos can result in lung disease, reduced respiration function, enlarged heart, cancer and mesothelioma. It can also affect the immune system. This is why asbestos is so dangerous and not something the average homeowner can take care of on his own.
Disaster Response are top biohazard experts, fully licensed and insured. We are fully certified by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration to test and remove asbestos safely. We understand how frustrating it can be to have to wait before starting that anticipated remodel, so we work quickly to help you get back to your project as soon as possible.