The Hidden Dangers Of Black Mold In Your Home

The Hidden Dangers Of Black Mold In Your Home

Have you noticed lately that you seem to have more allergies than normal? Have you or your family members had flu or cold-like symptoms? One culprit for these symptoms is the presence of black mold. Black mold is extremely toxic and can thrive indoors. If you believe you may be at risk for black mold, here is everything you need to know.

 

What Is Toxic Black Mold?

 

Stachybotrys Chartarum, otherwise known as toxic black mold is a serious health hazard. Exposure can lead to a range of health issues and even death. Black mold is found in soil but it thrives inside building, especially areas which have a lot of moisture. That is because black mold thrives off of cellulose, a base material that is in everything from wallpaper to drywall to floorboards. Although it is called black mold it is not always black. It can appear in a range of colors and even be invisible. It is most often found in damp areas of the home like basements, bathrooms, and kitchens.

 

What Are The Health Risks Of Black Mold?

 

Everyone responds to black mold differently, but we all can be impacted. The elderly, the young, and those who are immunocompromised are most likely to experience the most severe symptoms. Some of the common symptoms of black mold exposure include:

 

  • Cold and flu-like symptoms
  • Allergic reactions including runny nose, coughing, and sore throat
  • Breathing difficulties including asthma
  • Itchy, dry, or watery eyes

 

Long term exposure to black mold can result in the development of a variety of illnesses including:

 

  • Sinus Infections
  • Respiratory issues
  • Exhaustion
  • Mental illness including depression and anxiety
  • Headaches, difficulty focusing, and dizziness

 

Black mold is also very damaging to the central nervous system and can lead to very severe issues like pulmonary hemorrhage, toxic mold syndrome, and even death.

 

What To Do If You Think You May Be Exposed To Black Mold

 

If you think you have been exposed to black mold, you can start by doing a spot check of your home. Inspect the areas mold is most often found including:

 

  • The kitchen, especially under the sink
  • The bathroom
  • The basement and attic
  • Around windows and doors
  • Near home appliances like the washing machine, dishwasher, and air conditioning
  • Flooded or leaking areas

 

Basically, you want to check anywhere in your building where there is a build-up of moisture and low ventilation. If you see signs of mold, you need to hire a professional mold remediation specialist immediately. If you are not sure, it’s a good idea to call one as well. Black mold is not something you want to take a risk on.

 

At Disaster Response, we treat black mold very seriously. We know exactly how to identify toxic black mold and what to do to rid your building of the mold permanently. If you show any signs or symptoms of black mold in your home or office, give us a call. We’ll do a full inspection and put together a comprehensive plan to protect everyone from the presence of this indoor toxin.

Share this Post:
Call 616-201-1628